FAMILY LIFE IS FUN!!!

FAMILY LIFE IS FUN!!!

Hunter and Julie Moore

Hunter and Julie Moore
Best Friends

It's ALL GOOD :-)

It's ALL GOOD :-)

LOVE MY MAN!

LOVE MY MAN!

Moore Family February 2011

Moore Family February 2011

THE Johnston-Flake Gang

THE Johnston-Flake Gang
Christmas 2010

Johnston Family

Johnston Family

THE BEST BROS IN THE WORLD

THE BEST BROS IN THE WORLD

Monday, April 5, 2010

Fraud and QUAKES!!

WOW--lot's happenin' here in LA! The first thing that happened was that our debit card had been duplicated and used in 4 different grocery stores last week. AGH! Yah--you heard me right...DUPLICATED!! Pin and all. Just when you think swiping your debit card is safe---THINK AGAIN! Thank goodness I decided to check our bank account when I did! Turns out that fraudulent card duplicators had created a system where they could access all of our card information as we swiped it. We caught it in time, and we were able to get the money returned to our account. WHEW!

Then, on Sunday, right after conference...I was sitting in my chair by the computer, and my chair began to rock around. I closed my eyes for a moment, thinking that maybe I was dizzy and that I just needed to clear my head, but that didn't fix a thing! I called out to Hunter, who was in the kitchen, and I asked him if he was feeling the same thing. Sure enough--he was, too! He told me to grab Sterling and get outside to the other kids. As we all stood in silence, we watched as our neighbor's tree continued to shake. It felt like a snake was swirling beneath our feet. Once the tremor stopped, Hunter and I stared at each other in stunned fear. What would we do if the quake had been worse? What had we forgotten to do to prepare for such an event? What would happen if our family wasn't together? I could tell that Hunter was thinking all the same things.

When we felt it was again safe to go inside, we flipped on the news...and SURE enough...BREAKING NEWS 7.2 earthquake. Then, more breaking news...5.1 aftershock near Malibu/Santa Monica--just miles from our city. AGH!!!! Sacramento had been hit, too.

I had such a jolt of adrenaline running through me that I had to call my immediate family members. I'm not totally sure why, as I had nothing to report, really. But, I was scared! Unfortunately, I hadn't masked it well enough, and the children were, too. Both Cody and Amber were pretty shaken up, and we had only experienced a small rumble--in comparison to those in San Diego--and of course, those who were closer to Baha California, Mexico--where the earthquake had actually originated. The reports said that we had only felt a "1", whereas, those in Mexico felt the full 7.2! SCARY! These natural disasters are so OUT OF OUR CONTROL that you just don't know when they are going to hit or how bad they are going to be. Michelle (my sister-in-law) and my mother both asked, "So, would you prefer tornadoes or earthquakes?" With tornadoes, we had some warning with sirens and news flashes. There are no warnings with earthquakes. Basements can be a place of safety when tornadoes hit. NO PLACE is safe when an earthquake hits. I, therefore, would prefer tornadoes. Actually--I would prefer NO disasters!! BUT--that seems to be unrealistic anymore :-(.

Is there anywhere that's safe? We've been discussing where we want to finish up raising our kiddos. We've talked a lot about the pros and cons of living and raising children in LA. Good schools are like liquid gold here. I've considered homeschooling the kids once they get to junior high--as I hear the public schools have a lot to be desired here. Mariah and I have already discussed her options for schooling next year, as junior high begins in 6h grade here. Mariah is also the only LDS gal in her entire grade! So is Amber, and Cody has just one other little boy who is LDS in his grade. It really does make a difference for these youngsters when they are unable to cling to others who believe as they do. Fortunately, there are many wonderful families of other faiths here, but it's a struggle for the kids to find good friends. There are so many more things that come into play with the area in which you live when your children are so affected by it. I want what's best for my kids--even if that means homeschooling or moving. We'll have to see what happens.

9 comments:

Sarah Blue said...

We felt the quake here too. And several aftershocks. It was intense!

Good luck deciding where to raise your family. My vote is for good old Arizona. Less crazy people here. ;)

Kristen M said...

The debit card thing happened to us back in October. Someone used a fake debit card and our real pin number to take out 600 dollars cash out of our account at 2 atms. Wells was great though and caught and put back all the money. Crazy though right!!!

Karolyn said...

I have a fantastic idea! You could move back here!!!! :)

On a more serious note... I am so glad you are okay after all the excitement in your life! Earthquakes scare me to death! Or the idea of one, since I have never expereience one!

Luv u Jules!

Five Bloomin' Beauties said...

I agree with Karolyn! We want you back! I'm glad you are safe! I'm sure whatever is best for your family the Lord will guide you to.

K Bailey said...

Hey Julie: I think I've posted a comment awhile back when I found your blog somehow......but wanted to drop a note to say hi and loved reading your updates. Our blog is private but send me an email katee_bailey@yahoo.com

Katee (Rearden) Bailey

Kim said...

What is the world coming to? Someone stole our Discover card number on our move to Utah and started charging a bunch of things. Luckily Discover caught it and called us so we were able to close that account. People are really something sometimes. Sorry about the quake. That is really scary. I only felt a really little tremor on my mission, and it scared me. I don't blame you for wanting to move. I haven't been blogging for awhile because we just moved, but I hope you are doing better. It sounds like getting into the scriptures is helping. I just want you to know that I'm thinking about you. You are one on the neatest people I know.

Juls said...

I am glad that you are all okay! I sure do love you! Good luck. I know how hard it is to figure out where to go and how to get there and how to raise our precious little ones.

Dahlia said...

Come to Alaska with us! Although, we get earthquakes and an occasional volcanic eruption...and 60 below zero weather ;)

If you're interested in homeschool, I'd be happy to share my knowledge with you. I've been doing lots of studying about that option for my kids. I plan to homeschool them starting with Maddie this fall. Google "A Thomas Jefferson Education" - there are 7 principles I plan to implement (using classics instead of textbooks, mentors instead of professors, etc.). I think it's an excellent option and one that will allow the spirit to help teach as well.... :)

Tanya Leigh said...

*ahem* --> Mesa <-- it's hot. But it's safe. :)

Earthquakes! yeah. The earth is either mad or scared. My sister is in Santiago, Chile on her mission, right now. scary.

Stay safe!

And good luck with your school decisions. Home school really wouldn't be so bad. If I were there, I'd do it with ya! :)